From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Monday, December 28, 2015

A brace of meatloaf

I have only myself to cook for, but that doesn't mean I do cooking for a single meal.

Or even 2.

Nope, batch cooking is the only way to go.  I figure if your going to mess up the kitchen, get a bigger bang for your buck.

And when ground turkey is on sale, well, meatloaf just has to happen.

I made 3 loaves using 6# of ground turkey.  

I added the usually suspects, rolled oats, whole eggs, diced peppers, onions, mushrooms, garlic, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, parsley, etc.

3 loaves just filled the roasting pan.  I've learned to give the loaves enough room because the rolled oats absorb all the flavor juices (keeps the loaves nice and moist).

When cooled, the loaves were sliced and frozen, ready for quick suppers and sandwiches.  Lots of meals, and I only had to wash up the kitchen once.

Gotta love that.

How about you?  Do you cook small? Or make your own "fast food" like I do?

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment