From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Sunday, January 3, 2016

No longer chicken to use the pot

Don't know WHEN I acquired the white casserole pot that has been on the shelf over the stove.  Maybe 3-4 years?  I've used it for display for that 'country kitchen' look.

But in 2015, the year of the BIG PURGE, this piece was slated for the garage sale.  After all, no use - no keep was the slogan.

It had gotten as far as Mom's garage and was being placed on the kitchen item table when Mom saw it.  She liked the nice white color.  No, she wouldn't use it, she said.  But a nice piece and should sell quickly.  I thought so too.  She asked if it was microwave save.

I flipped it over.  

Waaaaait.  

Check it out: microwave safe, dishwasher save, oven safe up to 450F.  Porcelain, not ovenware.  Hey!  

It was a really good piece: no cracks or crazing, even still had a store price sticker.  Never been used.  I had NO idea where I got it.  But I decided then and there that I would KEEP it.  LOL

Still, it went unused - until this Christmas day when I thought I'd try roasting a whole chicken in it.

Boy, that was a big chicken.  I really had to stuff it in there so I could put the lid on.  

I had no idea what was going to happen.  

Roast chicken happened.  Woohoo!   

It was the best chicken I've ever roasted (albeit I've probably only roasted chicken maybe 5-6 times in my life) - tender, almost creamy meat.  It was great with braised potatoes, gravy and tangy cranberry relish.  Talk about a Christmas surprise! Mom and I enjoyed it muchly.

Thank goodness I kept the casserole  and 
I'm sure it will see more action in the future.

I wonder if I could use it to bake a round of sourdough bread.  Hmmmm.

I also wonder what else might have been purged prematurely last year.  *heh*

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

2 comments:

  1. I love that dish! I am so happy you found a use for it. That, btw, is the biggest chicken I have ever seen! I roast mine in a Romertof dish and love using it too. You can use it for anything you want to cook enclosed in the oven.....the possibilities are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea where my Mom got that chicken (or where I got that pot) - but it was tender and delish, even for that great size. I know you use your Romertof a lot and love it. I wonder what I'll cook in mine next.

      Delete