From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Sourdough pizza - 1st try

Remona (sourdough starter) is going gung ho these days, I decided it was time to try my hand at making pizza dough.

I read a lot of recipes and NOT following any particular recipe, I used starter, salt, olive oil and white spelt.

I think I under hydrated the flour but that's what experimenting is all about.

I balled up and bagged the stiff (not enough water) dough and put it in the 'fridge for 2 days to sour.

On Friday I let it come to room temp (about 3 hours) and stretched it out into 2 rustic crusts.

Though under hydrated, the dough had a nice stretch to it and it formed up easily.

I docked (forked holes) the crust, sprinkled on oregano, garlic, parsley and then pre-baked it for 5 minutes at 550F.    And here's where the under hydration showed up, the dough didn't bubble up at all (maybe the docking?).

Anyway, I dusted my never-before-used-peel (hey Dave! LOL) with rice flour and pulled out the crusts.  On went my fave toppings: turkey pepperoni, hot picked peppers, moz and some jarred spaghetti sauce.  Alas, I had no mushrooms on hand.

The pizzas slid right off the peel onto the heated pizza stone and within 10 minutes (and 1 minute under the broiler) I had pizza.  Yep.  Pizza.  

The crust was okay.  The edges were toasted a bit too much and the shell was thin, but still had chew - it was not a cracker.  Not bad for a first effort.  I'd give the crust a 7+** on my perfect scale.  But WAY off the charts of any gluten-free crust I'd subjected myself to over the past 2 years.  Yeah, way better.

I'll just have to keep experimenting..... ;-D

** I'm revising this upwards to an 8.5 -- when reheated, the crust stays nice and chewy with no sog.  


Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

4 comments:

  1. Well done! I think the docking eliminated the air pockets.

    I use cornmeal to slide my pizza off the peeel.

    Yours sure looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have any cornmeal, but rice flour works just as well. It's more grainy than smooth. The pizza was such a treat after so long since I last had one. I might add a bit of baking soda to the dough before the pre-bake next time.

      Delete
  2. I make pizza once a week---I'd die without it. Well, maybe not DIE, but life would not be worth living. Yea....I love it that much.
    Always fun to experiment with doughs---and if something doesn't work, ah well, you're not out much. But if it DOES work----bwa ha ha! So satisfying!
    Glad you're feeling better.
    (and I'm envious of your oven--mine is peetering out bit by bit--and has a tough time conjuring up 450 degrees)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine needs to be fixed or something. Have to set it at 450 to hold at 400. But it ran right up to 550. Go figure. Pizza - and chocolate and ice cream. All other food is just filler between those good thing. LOL When I win the lottery - new kitchen! *snark*

      Delete