From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Monday, March 28, 2016

Easter feast

Easter weather was gorgeous!  Almost 70F.

Mom was here so I made a spelt soda bread w/walnuts & cranberries.

For the main dish at dinner I made a ham and scalloped potato casserole.

It's been decades since I made this dish, so I basically just winged it.

One thing I did this time I know I never did in the past was to make a roux to thicken the milk then pour the hot bubbling sauce over the potatoes before popping into a 350F oven for over an hour.

In the past I just poured milk over the potatoes because that's how Mom used to make it.

But that thicken sauce - I tell you, this was hands down the best H&P casserole I've ever tasted.

Even Mom said so.

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page.

6 comments:

  1. Both dishes look lovely! I do a ham and potato casserole that has cheese, cream of mushroom soup, onions, potatoes (of course) and ham. I could eat it for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sound of your casserole! I'm going to have to do this one again. We really enjoyed it and it's pretty darn simple to make. P.S. I DID heat up some leftovers for a late breakfast. Yummy.

      Delete
  2. I always make a roux and I use ham broth as the liquid.
    I don't eat scalloped potatoes and ham, but hubby adores it .
    It sounds like I don't like much, but I'm just not a huge fan of meat and tend to just load up on "sides".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ham broth - what a good idea. I seldom make ham, though. Usually just pick up some ham steaks or something presliced.

      Delete
  3. Reason #359 why it would be nice to be neighbors!!
    I ALWAYS have ham broth on hand. I think Hubby is turning into a ham!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reason #360 - there'd be lots of crossover cuisine! PS - darn autocorrect. ROUX dammit!

      Delete