From harvest to table ~ what's cooking now?

This blog shows where all those garden goodies I grow end up. I call this little eating area next to the stove my "chef's table" because at all the best restaurants it's a privilege to be invited to dine in the kitchen where the chef reigns supreme. So here I am "reigning" and you are all invited. :-D

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Steamed up

Yes, another spelt sourdough post.  So sue me. LOL

Like the last batch I used the same flour combination.  And, since I'd gotten a higher rise on the loaf that I'd covered, I bought another loaf pan so I could cover both loaves this time.

I did something new this time (hence the seemingly redundant post).  I took and misted the inside of the lids AND the top of the dough before covering and putting them in the oven.

I've read that steam changes the texture of a crust, helps create those flaky little steam blisters.

I didn't know if just covering the loaves with another tin would actually keep any of the steam inside.

Another thing I did was not UNcover the loaves with 10 minutes left to bake.  That way the crust wouldn't get as toasted as the last batch.

When I pulled out the loaves I was surprised to see steam escape!  Nice. The lids DID keep moisture in.

And just look at that rise.  Sure the crust burst, but not out of the side, just the top.  I also like the bottom crust better now that I'm not just greasing the tins with coconut oil, but dusting them with rice flour.  

The loaves sliced better this time as the upper crust wasn't has hard due to the steam.  Instead it's thinner and more flexible.

The bottom pic shows this current batch (left - covered/misted) versus the last batch (right - covered/not misted).  You can't miss the difference.  Now I can enjoy an even bigger sandwiches!  :-D

Okay, okay.  Enough sourdough bread posts.  Unless I try something else new.  

Click here to return to Melissa Majora main page. 

2 comments:

  1. Impressive difference! I have been wondering how spelt bread tastes? Can you describe it?

    Also I have been reading that pre-fermentation or long fermentation reduces gluten in regular bread. I am going to research that before my next baking day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a lot of research earlier this year. Fermentation (sourdough) is the key. Here's my original post about that: CLICK HERE I'm really enjoying the sourdough. Spelt (wholegrain) itself (not soured) tastes like a toasty whole wheat. Sourdough spelt reminds me of a slightly tangy light rye bread. Good luck with your sourdough. Making your own starter is super easy too.

      Delete